Skip to main content

Got My Grove back- the Ogle Cooking Channel


Every now and then I eat out,but I always say "nothing  as good as a home cooked meal",and today with the wife out of town I told me -"no eat out"so despite the rains this evening on my way home from work I braved it into a typical "rowdy" port harcourt market, one of the many places I normally wouldn't go, not even if dragged by a leash.

Well,this evening the voice in my head said,quit the whimpering boy!, you either go into that market and cook you a meal or you end up eating indomi and fried egg a - "that home made easy junk food" 💭 - this time I listened to the voice of reason,cause I think I have had one indomi too many already. 

I stopped by the market, did my shopping, and went home to do my cooking all by myself and now am documenting it on my blog and sharing for posterity sake. Been a while since I cooked but incase you don't know, am good with the cooking, yeah! am a chef like that,bet I could run the cooking channel if they let me, or probably teach Gordon Ramsey a thing or two.

Cooking Plantain Porridge

If you want to try my recipe for Plantain Porridge, follow these instructions, - get Plantains, (not ripe/or unripe ) somewhere in between, Green vegetables preferably pumpkin leaves aka (Ugu), slightly smoked fish, stock fish bits, my spices of choice are, blended crayfish, and dry grounded chill pepper with seeds, and some salt with a knorr cube to spice it all up. 

(step1) a bit of water in the pot and allow it to heat up for like five minutes, (step2) , put the diced plantains, allow to cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, don't cook for too long. (step3) . Add your vegetables (use loads of vegetables cause pumpkin leaves shrink once they get into hot water) - stir slightly and after about a minute or two (step4) add your spices, stir some more and allow to steam before adding your smoked fish and stock fish bits(soften stock fish with hot boiling water) - allow some time and add just a bit of red palm oil - give a very good stir, and taste to be sure all spices and salt are in right proportion. (final step) Now allow to seat on the stove and cook with the pot  lid closed for a minute and half. Once done, allow the some steam off  and then  serve - steaming hot...

Goes down well with a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice or a bottle of water and some old Congo music  today I had on my dinner time playlist OK Jazz the congolese old school highlife

...Bon Appétit. - evening well spent.. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

22 to 23 Great & Greater

It is 4:20 PM, am in the living room having a home made meal I cooked myself the previous evening and drink a bottle of warm Martinellis, apple cider wine. I have been contemplating all day when I will make this post. It's the 31st of December 2022 and in the last 16years, every last day of the year I have maintained this tradition of documenting my general thoughts, for the year ending and my hopes and outlooks for the incoming year. I believe that in going forward, it does demands a good reflection backwards also, like the famous quote from the late Steve Jobs of Apple    “You can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future"   The interesting thing that life and faith in God has taught me is that this " SOMEHOW" is not a thing of chance or luck.  It's simple God's hand at work.  Every steps he has ordered, even when I take them without k

This is How We Do It!

Montell Du'Sean Barnett Jordan (December 3, 1968) isn American singer, songwriter, and record producer. Best known for his 1995 single "This Is How We Do It", on Def Jams Label -Today he Pastors   an Online Church   master peace church For 54 a years old man Montell Jordan is an absolute classic act, an icon of 90's Soul /R&B music. He's has so much stylish excellence and now above all a Pastor. In the mid 90's he's one of the young  music idol, African American artists we would listen to from half way across the world in the dingy streets of Warri in Nigeria,immitate or try to be a wannabe version of the panache they carry. The back story to the success,we never knew - we just saw the fame and fortune and tried to identify with that. Decades later we get the opportunity to hear the back story,the work,the walk,the raise & falls of stardom. The journey for most is crazy. So many fell off,some lost it completely,some made it then eventually los