Skip to main content

Staying Alive, Enjoying the Journey

This year, I invested in a multi room-portable speaker with bluetooth connectivity and internet radio access. It's been a long time coming, I have wanted one for a long time now. I had to save and wait for the right time to make this purchase as I had to get a premium brand (Bose Speakers) and they don't come cheap.

Why would I wait this long to get a speaker and then talk about it online?  You see am very particular about my mornings, especially my waking moments and the first few hours of each day. We leave in a part of the world where if you are not deliberate about certain or infact most things for example how your day begins, then you just keep going through the motions, typical for folks living in a densely populated city.

So personally I chose to take a different path, and my speaker offer a small help in that direction. I incorporated to my morning waking up routine, listening silently to great songs,of worship,contemporary gospel and inspirational music for those few moments while still lying on my bed - with the world shutout completely, to avoid generator noise,the preacher man screaming "Repent" at the top of his lungs at 4am and the mass of jalopies Volvo wagons raving their engines none stop, ready to pick up freshly baked bread from the bakery next door. So with that picture of the world I now shut out, you can but only imagine my previous early mornings and for someone who sleep light, it's like I hear everything even with my eyes closed and with ear plugs on.

But ahhh! Thank God, now I wake up and the day feels brighter, peaceful,all I hear is heavenly voices drowning  out all the unnecessary,voice, sound and noise.

One more thing I now do, I stopped listening to the news, at least not again in the early hours of the morning or even when driving to work, there's so much bad in the  news and to me it's no longer news.In place of the early morning news I am building a habit of either just reflecting or listen to some of my favorite preachers and speakers.I leave the news for much, much later in the day, and another gadget (Alexa from Amazon) I invested in helps give me my daily news flash briefing, bits of global/local news in tiny chunks.
Notice I use the word invest? yes, these to me are not just expenses on stuff. That's because I try as much as I can not to just buy stuff, but rather invest in stuffs that have positive rippling effects on other aspects of my life,helping me live a much better life. So I can do the things I need to do with more zest, getting better at what I do and doing it happily. Staying Alive, Enjoying the Journey

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grateful Reflections

( With Dr Bola Afolabi, Current CIPS President) On the 28 February 2006, I started a tread called Logistics/Supply Chain Management on one of the most popular webforum in Nigeria called Nairaland. Follow link to view postings on this tread http://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-7497.0.html My aim basically was to use the opportunity an online forum can offer, to interact, share and gain ideas, information,network and generally increase awareness of the Procurement, Logistics and Supply chain management profession. This act of sharing my passion for the profession online has over the years sparked off series of positive and constructive events in my career quest, some of which I have reflected upon in the text below. Although my initial undergraduate study and immediate post study working experience were all related to engineering, I soon fall in love with the logistics and SCM profession when in March of 2005 I gained my 1st substantive Job with Integrated Logistics services Nig...

Happiness

These are a few of my favourite things " A nice foot wear" "Kick Back & Feets Up" "A Quite Time with Me"           #introspection And of course  "Music "   #whosthefoot No #egotripping

Happy, St Valentines Day

Love is eternal ~ the aspect may change but not the essence, there is the same difference in a person before and after he is in love, as there is in an unlighted lamp and one that is burning! The lamp was there and was a good lamp, but now it is shedding light too, and that is its real function. And love makes one calmer about many things, and that way, one is more fit for one's work. ~ Vincent Van Gogh (1853-1890) Happy Val’s Day! Every One